Rasika Restaurant 07.28.10

I don't think I've had one bad meal at Rasika. Located in the increasingly busy Penn Quarter area of Washington, DC, Rasika has provided since it opened a solid menu of intensely flavored Indian food that is inventive, but with a traditional Indian backbone.

On Wednesday, I ate at Rasika with T, who I met through a mom's group several years ago. We spent much of our meal discussing offspring issues and balancing work and life, which, if you must know, is absolutely chaotic right now. T loves Indian food and with her, I am also able to discuss another shared passion: all things Scandinavian. More on that later.

I started with garlic scallops surrounded by yellow rice, hints of curry leaves and poppy seeds. The scallops had a wonderful spicy kick. For my meal I had the chicken green masala, which also is spicy. Rasika's sister restaurant, The Bombay Club, has a green chicken curry which I once ordered and of which I was only able to take one bite. Too spicy for my Indian blood.

Rasika is in lovely space next to the Wooly Mammoth Theater on 7th and D. The decor gives off an Eastern vibe. But if you're looking for a quiet, intimate environment, you won't find it here. I don't know if music was playing at Rasika, but I do remember being able to hear everyone, all at once. Not an empty table in the house, which tells you how good the food is.

I'm a huge fan of tasting menus but have never tried the one at Rasika. Next time.

Back to Scandinavia: I've known for several years that T, like me, loves Scandinavia and reads Scandinavian authors. I told her I am reading "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo," which she recently read along with the two volumes that follow it. The book started off a bit slow but I'm on page 182 and am really enjoying it. T mentioned several other Scandinavian authors, which I'll have to get from her later.

Rasika Restaurant
633 D Street, NW
Washington, DC 20004

202.637.1222


1 comment:

  1. I ate in the side room to the left today and it was much more subdued than the main dining room. Of course there's no getting over that you are not, obviously, in the main dining room. Everything was excellent plus the pleasure of introducing a favorite restaurant to a couple of friends who had not been.

    ReplyDelete