|Simon demonstrating hyper-decanting|
Below are photos of all the food we ate with the wine pairing. Enjoy!
- Amuse - Palak Chaat. Wine: Conde de Subirats, Cava Brut Rosé, NV, Catalonia, Spain
- Crab-Calamari-Scallop-Shirmp. Wine: Vassiliou, "Retsina of Attica", Savatiano, NV, Attica, Greece
- Assorted Kebabs. Wine: Telmo Rodriguez, "Gabo do Xil", Godello, 2007 Valdeorras, Spain (hyperdecanted)
- Black Cod West End Style. Wine: Chateau D'Escalans, "Whispering Angel", Grenache Rose, 2011 Cotes de Provence, France
One the favorite dishes over at Rasika Penn Quarter is the black cod, and I think it's going to be a favorite at the West End location. The one on this menu is called Khatta Meetha Black Cod, which means tangy-sweet in Hindi. The cod is beautifully tender and flavorful. Sitting next to the piece of fish is curried quonia -- really a fantastic take on a healthy-but-uneventful quasi-grain.
- Curry. Wine: Shina's Estate, "The Guilty", Shiraz, 2008 Victoria, Australia
I love the idea of a curry course. There should always be a curry course. And sometimes, that is the only course I need. There were so many elements that it was a little overwhelming. The first picture here is the Kid Goat Biryani, followed by the Chicken Tikka Masala. This, I have to say,completely, utterly blew me away. It is possibly the best chicken tikka masala I have tasted. There were vegetarian dishes as well, including Panjabi Khadi and Lentils. The Panjabi Khadi is a personal favorite.
- Dessert: Gulab Jamun and Kulfi. Wine: Heinz Eifel, Eiswein, 2009 Rheinhessen, Germany