Warm Sunday Breakfast...And a Visit to Heaven & Hell 02.11.2013



Gorgeous, isn't it?  Baked creamed spinach and egg topped with salt, pepper, and paprika.  Imagine someone handing this to you after a long night of dancing and traipsing all over town.  That is exactly what I did and that is exactly what Eric handed me this morning.  A lady knows she is loved when her man asks her to sit down to this breakfast after she's been out until 3 a.m., leaving him to fend for the offspring.

The day before Eric made creamed spinach (fantastic!) and then used the leftover for this dish.  Crack the egg on top of the spinach, which has been spooned into the bowl, bake for 15 minutes at 400 degrees.  After it's out of the oven, sprinkle on salt, pepper, and paprika.  Eat. I also toasted a slice of bread to dip into to yolk; eggs without toast seems unnatural.  Oh, and a glass of orange juice on the side.

So, the traipsing all over town?  If you're familiar with the DC neighborhood of Adams Morgan, you know it has so much to offer.  Ethnic restaurants -- some of the best Ethiopian food -- coffee shops with extensive food menus, established restaurants like the always fabulous Cashion's Eat Place, some crappy restaurants, dance clubs, tattoo parlors, and dive bars.  And on a Saturday night:  the cross section of Adams Morgan (18th Street and Columbia Road) is teeming with people, a lot of scantily-clad women (not that there's anything wrong with that), and so so many interesting people doing -- how shall I put this? -- interesting things?  Yes.  I'll say that.

Mixing drinks at Club Heaven & Hell

A friend in my neighborhood was itching to go dancing so we first hit Club Heaven & Hell, and then Habana Village. This is where I tell you that I am not 22 years old.  I know.  Hard to believe, but I am not.  And it has been FOREVER since I have gone dancing in Adams Morgan.  And this is also where I tell you that my idea of a perfect Saturday night in February is a beautifully prepared meal, conversation with friends, good wine, a few rounds of Scrabble, and ending with reading by the fire while sipping scotch.  Soooo....going out to Adams Morgan?  Not normal operating procedure. 

A mural at Club Heaven & Hell

Heaven & Hell is three floors of dancing, each floor different music and a different vibe, although it looks the same decor-wise.  We spent most of our time in Heaven, as the middle and lower floors were, as the night went on, gradually reminiscent of that scene from "91/2 Weeks".  (Not judging.)  The dancing was fun but it was a little sparse.  If I am going out dance, I want a big crowd.  But perhaps we were too early?  Should we have arrived at 2 a.m. instead of 11 p.m.?  I am not going to go back to find out because I do not know when I will stop feeling tired from Saturday night.  Maybe never, and that's okay.  We edged out of Heaven & Hell and walked over to Habana Village for some salsa dancing.  But we needed to eat first.  The kitchen was about to close but they let us sit in the back, where the waitresses were chatting and rolling silverware for the next day.  I have to say, I really enjoyed the mood at Habana Village.  Lots of happy people conversing and drinking.  That was the first floor.  Dancing was on the second floor, and I'll get to that.

Late night snacks at Habana Village
After a quick scan of the menu, I chose the beef empanadas ($7) and the Spanish tortilla with chorizo ($10).  Let me just say this:  I will be going back to Habana Village to eat.  Soon.  The empanadas were out of this world -- so delicious.  And the tortilla omelette was perfectly satisfying for a late night of dancing.  And aces for the customer service.  Very friendly and accommodating.  For my drink I had a caipirinha, which was possibly the strongest caipirinha I have ever had.  Ever.

We then went upstairs for the dancing.  I am not a salsa dancer, but I can fake it to the point where everyone knows I'm faking it.  It's okay -- salsa dancing is not a personal life goal and I am at peace with the fact that I suck at it.  Anyway, it was great fun watching everyone dance.  I was even approached by a gentleman to dance and I'm pretty sure he figured out within five seconds that I had no idea what I was doing.  But, he was a gentleman:  he smiled, danced an entire song, very graciously thanked me, and went on his way.

We made our way back home and many hours later, Eric presented me with baked creamed spinach and eggs.  Peace, quiet, happiness.  Anyone up for Scrabble next week?


A mural at Habana Village
  


Club Heaven & Hell
2327 18th Street, NW
Washington, DC 20009


Habana Village
1834 Columbia Road N.W.
Washington, D.C. 20009


No comments:

Post a Comment