Pan Tomaca: Spanish Tomato Bread 09.23.2013


Years ago, I became addicted to pan tomaca at José Andrés' restaurant Jaleo, where he serves toasted bread topped with tomato spread, garlic, serrano ham, olive oil, salt, and pepper.  Delicious.  That tomato spread is fantastic, and I've tried replicating it by rubbing a cut tomato on toasted bread, but the consistency is always off.  So when my Spanish neighbor Mila put out a bowl of the tomato spread to pair with bread earlier this year, I was, needless to say, ridiculously happy.

Pan tomaca is eaten in parts of Spain as a butter substitute on bread for breakfast; I could easily eat this for breakfast every morning.  The spread also is tasty on scrambled eggs, and with ham and olive oil.  And if you love the soft, earthy scent and taste of tomatoes, pan tomaca is your spread.

Mila has made pan tomaca using a grater, but showed me an easier method yesterday using an immersion blender.  I have the Cuisinart immersion blender and used the plastic beaker that came in the set for the tomato mixture, per Mila's instructions.

This is what you'll need:

1 large tomato, cut
1 garlic clove 
3/4 teaspoon of salt
1 tablespoon olive oil

  • Put all the ingredients into a bowl/beaker
  • Insert immersion blender and blend

That is it.

When I made the pan tomaca at home this morning, I used two garlic cloves instead of one (because why not?) and it did add a bit of a bite.

For breakfast, spread on bread or toast, and for an appetizer, serve the spread in bowl with torn bread or toast points.  Sauvignon blanc or a pitcher of sangria pairs beautifully with pan tomaca.

Happy eating all!






No comments:

Post a Comment