Taqueria Nacional 09.17.2013



The tostadas I ate at Taqueria Nacional were piled with beans, chicken, cheese, lettuce, pico de gallo, and crema.  With red hot sauce on top (of course).  And all of this was a substantial amount of food.  But it was so delicious, I contemplated loitering around T Street and waiting until I was hungry again to have some more.  I didn't because, you know, work.

Taqueria Nacional, originally located on Capitol Hill and started by Chef Ann Cashion and business partner John Fulchino, is housed (as of this year) in an old U.S. post office building at 1409 T Street, NW.  Very simply decorated, it has a mouth watering menu of Mexican food that is not heavy or too cheesy or saucy.

I met a friend there for lunch last week and it was empty when I got there around 12:15 p.m., which was just fine.  The lunch crowd started to pick up around 1 p.m. and honestly, I could have sat around all afternoon taking in the atmosphere (and eating more food).  

The space is very casual so you could conceivably spend a long time sipping beer and eating Mexican food.  The front windows open up and getting those seats at the front of the restaurant with the sumptuous afternoon light coming in could distract you from that 1:30 conference call. I'm going to encourage you to go there, but I'm not responsible for the aftermath.

Taqueria Nacional has a Saturday and Sunday breakfast menu, and a bar.  The drinks menu includes Horchata, a traditional Mexican drink which can be made of ground almonds, sesame seeds, rice, barley.  Walk in, order at the counter, take a seat.  You'll love it.

Go.

Taqueria Nacional
1409 T Street, NW
Washington, DC








No comments:

Post a Comment