Easy Summer Sandwich for a Hot August Day 08.11.2013


I love sinking my teeth into a crisp, cool summer sandwich, especially one that is not insanely unhealthy.  I created this pita sandwich with fresh ingredients we happened to have on hand and I'm excited that it's vegetarian.  My father is vegetarian and I love finding new things for him to eat.  

Two of the key ingredients -- hummus and roasted bell peppers in olive oil and garlic -- were made from scratch by my husband, but if you don't have the time or the inclination, they can easily be found in any grocery.  I experimented a few times with how the sandwich was layered and think I've found the right formula.  It does have a different textural feel (and taste) if you layer differently.

Also, make sure all of the ingredients stay refrigerated until you are ready to make and serve the sandwich.


Okay, ingredients for 2 servings:

Pita bread, sliced and divided into two circles
4 tablespoons hummus 
1/2 red onion diced
2 sliced roasted bell peppers in olive oil and garlic (use different colors)
1 medium tomato, sliced 
Crumbled feta cheese (as much as you like)
Salt (use sparingly)
Finely chopped mint leaves

1.  Toast the pita for 45 seconds, just getting it warm enough to be flexible without tearing.  This is a cool sandwich so you don't want anything to be warm.

2.  Spread 2 tablespoons of hummus on each pita, then sprinkle diced onion (as much or as little as you like) onto hummus, followed by crumbled feta.


3.  Place slices of roasted bell pepper on top of hummus-onion-feta layer, foliowed by tomato.  You will not use all of the roasted bell pepper on two servings but if you've made it fresh, it will keep for a few days.  I also drizzled on a little of the olive oil in the mixture for added fun.


4.  Sprinkle salt  and a generous amount of chopped mint leaves.


5.  Fold each pita slice over, cut in half, and secure with a long toothpick.  Serve, and enjoy!



Pairing:  I tried the sandwich with a sauvignon blanc and it was a solid pairing, but this sandwich could easily hold up against something stronger.  

I'll be making this a lot -- it's easy and tastes so good.  And I need all the ease I can get today.  I'll be honest with you:  I'm sad that Breaking Bad is ending.  It's a brilliant show and Bryan Cranston's Walter White is more addictive than his meth (which I've heard is awesome).  So, meals, lunches, outfits for tomorrow will all be organized and kids will be asleep.  I have a date with Heisenberg.














No comments:

Post a Comment